Northern State Recreation Area
Sedro-Woolley, Washington
Dates Hiked: August 6th, 2024; July 6th, 2025; August 28th, 2026
Trail Hiked: Northern State Recreation Area Loop, etc.
Distance Hiked: 3.98 miles; 13.45 miles; 4.41 miles
Elevation Gain: 177 ft.; 699 ft.; 180 ft.
Duration: 2h 1m; 4h 5m; 1h 28m
Hiking has never been the primary reason for making this trek to northern Washington, although it certainly doesn't hurt either.
Three hikes are listed above, and there were at least two more before I started keeping track with AllTrails. With my penchant for always wanting to go to new places rather than revisit older ones, that should convey just how unique and interesting I find this location. Not only is it symbolic and special in a personal way, not only is it a goldmine for those who enjoy photography of the abandoned variety, but its preservation is chilling and essential for not repeating the mistakes of history and how those with mental illness are treated by society.
Harbor no illusions here, this is the site of a former asylum, and there's something distinctly uncomfortable about the fact that it's now a disc golf course. I love exploring abandoned buildings, and the time I took the video camera doesn't even begin to cover all the places to find there, but knowing what happened there before contrasts the aesthetic with an unyielding, haunting aura.
The size of these essays does not even begin to tell the truth behind the crumbling structures, so may I suggest Under the Red Roof: One Hundred Years at Northern State Hospital by Mary J. McGoffin for much more than I can describe in 500 words. There's a cemetery that had to be rediscovered and plotted out by those who cared for folx who died there, so please read more about its history at your discretion.
Conversely, it's also a very special and sentimental place for me, as my consistent returns have indicated. The unobstructed views of the Cascades are daunting and beautiful, while the hollowed shells of buildings that once were feel trapped in time despite the modern lingo in the endless graffiti. On one of the previous visits with Redacted, all four seasons collided within one trek, as it went from pleasant and sunny to hail onslaught in a mere few hours. Another time I visited was at the height of the Sickness, where I hiked the entire loop twice while spending more time than previous trips capturing as many photographs as possible.
But, as several more Hike With Me's about Washington will complement, my mileage and time were kept short intentionally during my 2026 trip, as this wasn't even my only stop that day. This was my first solo wander to Washington without any plans, itineraries, or meetings with loved ones. Finding my own validation and wandering for no other reason than I wanted to, Northern State was oddly soothing and liberating despite the scars of the past as visible as ever; my own and the location's alike.
I love the town of Sedro-Woolley. I set a story there once upon a time too. Northern State Recreation Area though, it's amazing for a good hike, urbex photography, and/or Geocaching, and I assume the disc golf is great too.
But for me, it was peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment